Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Teaching Philosophy

After doing a few reflecting about my teaching I find myself recognizing just how large of an impact an instructor and course can be on a student. I used to always say that I taught physics, but now that sounds incomplete and I find myself more often saying I teach students. I am still keeping on practicing communication skills, sharpening the analytical skills, teaching approach and being exposed to other people’s value systems. So that I can transformed in my classrooms practices to enhance student learning.

Before i deciding to enter this education ministry, i already think wisely and deeply this matter. To become a teacher its not easily as we taught. I must prepare myself mentally and physically to facing any matters about teaching. I must take on a large responsibility to organize my courses and conduct myself s to achieve these goals. Attention must be paid to every detail, from the selection of material down to hand gestures, since all will have an impact on the students. For example, non-verbal behaviors may help to express teacher’s excitement for the material. There is little chance students will get excited about physics unless they see that the instructor is visibly animated. If done well, every action and activity can be used to teach. It is only when teaching is approached with a holistic view will students be able to learn all they can.

I also should be focus in the classroom I must try to use teaching method which suggested by my lectures such as cooperative learning. There are many benefits to keeping the learning process student-cantered. One is that Peer Instruction and other small group work allows the students to interact with each other and not just the instructor. This gives the students a chance to practice their various interpersonal and communication skills. This collaborative effort gives the students some control over the learning process.

With all of that said I believe that teaching Physics is unique and very challenging. I have to put more effort, try various teaching approach to ensure my entire student will achieve all the learning outcomes. Through my teaching and mentoring I strive to teach students many skills, ones that will hopefully have a lasting impact on their lives. The classroom is a dynamic place where there are many layers of learning occurring at the same time. While the topic may be physics, the students are also learning more about themselves and how to interact with their peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment