Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Journal No.2

12/05/2009

6pm

I just finished watching my microteaching video. I go through what I have done during the teaching. There are a lot of things to be improve in terms of communication skills, body language, the way to deliver the content, interaction between student and me and so on. I am feel shame to watch this video, but then I have to watch it for my reflection to improve my teaching skills. When I go trough this video, I find that myself choose the simple topic which can I understand and can probe further this topic.

I am still remember about last microteaching which was represented by a few my friends. They come out with great idea and presentable. The way their teached the physic concept are very confidently. But at the end, Dr. Nurul correcting the way their delivered the concept which is can make student misconceptions. Regarding from Dr. Nurul explanation, sometimes teacher cannot deliver well because the teacher also not mastery in content of subject. The teacher not know deeply the concept to be teach. The teacher to depends on the formula given and state in the book. At the end, the students only remember all the formulas and not really understand what going on and why must use this formula.

While listening to Dr. Nurul explanation about this nowadays situation which had faced by mostly science teacher in the school, I reflected back and realize when I secondary school, I learned physic just for pass the exam. At the beginning of class ( I mean when first time learning Physics) I thought I can go trough it. It was not to hard to learn and I got high mark during monthly test. But in the middle of the year, I am getting feel bored learning physics. There were a lot of concepts must to remember. Means that I am not truly heart to accept all the content of knowledge. There most focus on theory, sometimes do an experiment sometimes not. Its shows that the teacher only push student in theory part and never ask student to get know more into it. I am feel stress to make sure I remember all the things, formulas, concepts, calculations here and there. Then now, I know why it happens. The teacher try to finished the syllabus and do not have enough time to ensure understanding of the students. So that, the student not feel fun and enjoyable during class because of no such of interesting activity which can nurturing curiosity in physics. Then, the teacher cannot blame totally on us why we was misunderstanding and misconception about the content even we work hard to ensure can answer the exam questions.

When I look back to myself, I am also not master in content of physics. I do not know is it because that I not knowledgeable in physics. Sometimes I not really understand the concept and not eager to know about the content and the concepts. Sometimes I wondering if there have some can be relate which can develop the understanding? I am really worried about this problem. I do not know how I can face it during my practicum. I am also scared if the students ask me unexpected question which make me blank and getting blur what should have I answer the questions. I do not want to get embarrass in front of my students. Sigh. I must do something!

I am always thinking how to solve this problem. I must work out to ensure I getting knowledgeable and understanding the content of subject. Even I know its will takes a long time, but I believe if I try to understand, to get know and try to be familiar with all the methods and concept, I will getting know more and more about the content. If i do a mistakes such as telling them but use wrong pronunciation or vocabulary, I love to say to myself and them, "everyday is learning process". Maybe the pronunciation make them laughing, but I just ignore (even sometimes I am feel shame) because at least I do something for my practicing in speaking especially in English. When I went to internet I find an article `"Physics 590 – Summer Physics Courses for New Physics Teachers" which is written by Salvatore Tattowhich. Its about an advice for new physics teacher based on her experience how she can improve her physics content knowledge by exploring herself to gain more knowledge and understanding and create an activity which can enhance student prior knowledge. I also go through How to Study Physics. According to this website, Seville Chapman said that "learning physics takes work and it depends how you may work effectively but it cannot tell you of short cuts because there are none ". Means that every suggestion for leaning effectively in physics depend on myself.

Firstly, I must overview the physics syllabus. I will going trough one chapter to one chapter. Truly, I always look to the chapter but not go deeply. I must clarify which are I not understand. Then, I must test myself all the terms, concepts or method especially basic physics. I knew, before to learn further and understand more, at least I must have basic knowledge about physics.

Next, I will discuss with my friends about the topic that I not understand. We can share some ideas and think creative and critically. I will be more alert during the lesson in the class. It is because, my lecturers love to explain their lecture and relate with physics concept. So that, I will help me to correct my misconceptions. Later on, I will not make a mistake in order to explain the concepts to students in the future. In fact, the student can develop an construct new idea from their prior knowledge through their understanding.

Then, I will go trough during preparing my lesson plan. I will do or suggest any activities which can gain more knowledge. I shall create an interactive activities which involve predicting, observing and analysing. From the preparation, its will encourage me to well-prepared about the content which is going to deliver to the student. I will ensure all the task well managed and going smoothly. I must put some more effort to explore and undertand in order to integrate knowledge and skill for me and my students.

This week we have a lots of assignment, which is must be submit and to be present. I hope all the group members will participate and do their part. After doing this reflective, I am feel more relieve to face this problem. I hope I will keep on this alternative so that I will feel more confidently in teaching of physics during my lesson. I believe if i put some efforts and try to come out from this kind of anxiety, I can learn and understand the content even its will take a long time. Saiza, believe yourself! Chaiyoks!

No comments:

Post a Comment